Required Off Season Meeting: Wed. 10:00am 10/18/17 at NGU
Required Preseason Conference Call Date: Tues. 10:00am 1/23/18
Coaches Required Conference call to discuss All-Conf nominess: 9:30AM Mon. April 23
Coaches Required Conference call to VOTE ON All-Conf: 9:00am Tues. April 24
Link to: Coaches Group Procedures and Requirements
Link to: Sport Chair Report Form
Committee Chairperson: Brooke LeSage, Belmont Abbey
Athletic Director Liaison: David Hicks, King
2018 Championship Dates:
Final date of league regular season play: Monday April 23
(Per AD Policy: All conference games -including any rescheduled games- must be completed by the Saturday prior to that sport's conference championship.)
Thur. April 26th, 6:30pm: Awards Recognition Banquet
Fri.-Sun. April 27, 28, & 29: Championship Tourney (raindate Monday, April 30.)
Conference Makeup Rain date: non-applicable (11/4/14)
Hosted by: Burlington Recreation & Parks at Springwood Park, Burlington, NC (Three year term for 2016, 2017, 2018 -renewed 5/19/15)
(Note: When there is a pre-determined championship site, the game times should be pre-determined based on seed, not on the host, regardless of whether the championship is being played at a neutral or campus site.)
SB Nominations Due: 12noon, Mon. April 16.
Coaches Required Conference call to discuss nominess: 9:30AM Mon. April 23
Coaches Required Conference call to VOTE ON CONF CALL: 9:00am Tues. April 24
2016-18 Championships: Burlington, NC
Regular Season Play
The regular season will consist of each team playing a doubleheader with each conference member (2 games).
In the case of a tie game, the International Tie Breaker (placing a runner at 2nd base) will be used in the 8th inning for all conference games.
Every regular season & tournament game will use the 8 run "Mercy" Rule.
All rainouts will be rescheduled (provided no expenditure has occurred and with approval of both Athletic Directors) at the time of the cancellation under the discretion of the coaches. The cancellation and makeup dates must be reported immediately to the league office. The last day a conference game can be scheduled is the Saturday prior to the start of the league tournament. All softball coaches have ageed (gentlemen/ladies agreement) that four days prior to the final Monday playdate (before the league tournament), should be reserved for conference make-up days.
Members agree to admit opponents students, with student ID, without charge (8/11/04).
Eight conference teams will play in an ASA double-elimination tournament with seeding based on the regular season results.
Higher seed will determine home team.
In the case of a tie game during the tournament, the game will be played without any special tie-breaking procedures.
Weather related cancellation of the tournament decisions will be made by a committee composed of the Tournament Director, a conference representative and the Softball committee chair.
- In the event of a weather shortened tournament the highest seeded team remaining in the tournament becomes the conference champion receiving the automatic NCAA bid with the exception that if the tournament ends with one team having a record of 3 wins and 0 losses that team is declared champion and receives the automatic bid. When the winning team is not eligible for automatic qualification the runner up team receives the automatic qualification. (5/22/13).
Scheduling of an 11:00 AM Sunday tournament game is allowed only when a player-optional Sunday morning service is made available.
Equipment: The Rawlings NCAA sanctioned ball is the official conference ball and will be used for all conference games. Per NCAA SB rule 3.2.1: "The host shall be responsible for providing a minimum of 12 game softballs...All game balls shall be sufficiently rubbed up so as to remove the manufacturer's gloss before being put in play by the umpire." Conference Carolinas head coaches have agreed (gentlemen/ladies agreedment), that while 12 game balls are required, at minimum 7 pre-rubbed up balls are available.
Tie Breaking Procedure for Seeding: Ties will be broken in the following manner: 1) Head to head results during the regular season for a two way tie; 2) Records against all opponents involved in the tie; 3) Record against opponents not involved in the tie working down from #1; 4) Runs scored versus runs given up between tied teams, 5) Runs scored versus runs given up between tied teams and the highest seed working down to the lowest seed, 6) Random selection by Commissioner. (If a team was not played, its comparison is not used for tiebreaking purposes.)
Multiple Sport Policies: Link to League Mutiple Sport Policy
Media Policy Regarding Officials: Link to Media Policy
Delay of Game Policy: Link to Delayed Game Policy
Line-Up Submission Policy: Link to Line-Up Submission Policy
Visiting Team Expectations: Link to Visiting Team Expectations
Admissions Policy: Any sport in which there is an admissions charge, member students with valid ID to be admitted free (except rented facilities off campus). Passed 8-11-04.
Ejection Policy: When a player or team party member is ejected both the team's coach and (if a league opponent) the opposing coach are to notify their Athletic Director upon completion of the contest. The Athletic Director will immediately notify the conference office and subsequently complete and submit to the league office the Ejection Report Form found on the web. The conference office will notify each member president immediately when notified of an ejection.
A coach ejected for an "unsporting act" will be cautioned by the institution’s Athletic Director or immediate superior in a form provided by the league. Copies of cautions and suspensions will be provided to the institution’s President, FAR, the Supervisor of Officials and the Commissioner. A second ejection in the same year will, minimally, carry a next game suspension. A third ejection in the same year will, minimally, carry a next two games suspension. End of year suspensions will be carried forward to the next year.
Ejected coaches must leave sight of the playing field/floor when ejected. If the ejected coach does not comply in a timely manner, the game is forfeited.
- The All-Conference team will mirror the NCAA All-Region Team (14 first team & 14 second team).
- All conference nominations (working through each school SID & Head Coach) are to be submitted via online submission in the required conference awards format. A player may not be nominated at more than one position. (When a dual position nomination occurs the head coach will be required to resubmit and select one position.)
- When nominating for Utility, the DP position CAN count as one of the '2 different positions' (approved by coaches meeting vote 2010)
- All-Conference Nomination Statistics will be used within league games only (as voted on by coaches & approved by AD's)
- Softball Nomination Guidelines (as voted on by coaches & approved by AD's)
- All nominees must play in 60% of all league games.
- All-Conference awards should be voted & based on league conference play only (not overall stats).
- All nominees for a given position must have played in at least 50% of the conference games at that position. (For example: A player playing at a position for one inning, counts as one game at that position -11/4/14.)
- For a player to be nominated for "utility", the player would have to play in at least 2 different positions
for 60% of all conference games (Note the DP position CAN count as one of the '2 different positions')
- For 'Pitchers', there is no specified percentage of games in which to be played.
- Nomination information will be taken verbatim as sent in by each institution. The conference office will compile the submitted information and circulate before the coaches conference call meeting.
- All sport coaches that nominate & vote All-Conference Teams via the on-line procedure through the league office (as opposed to meeting in person), are required to attend a conference call following nominations but prior to voting ballots (set up by the conference office). Ballots are required to be completed within 24 hours of the coaches conference call.
Player of the Year: Each member will vote for three players excluding their own, in rank order. Ties will be broken by greatest number of 1) first place votes, 2) 2nd place votes, 3) 3rd place votes.
Pitcher of the Year: Each member will vote for three players excluding their own, in rank order. Ties will be broken by greatest number of 1) first place votes, 2) 2nd place votes, 3) 3rd place votes.
Coach of the Year: Each member will vote for three coaches excluding their own, in rank order. Ties will be broken by greatest number of 1) first place votes, 2) 2ed place votes, 3) 3rd place votes.
Freshman of the Year: The top true freshman vote-getter of the members using the same procedure and time frame as Player of the Year.
All Tournament: Coaches will select the all tournament team as follows: 1st place-MVP + 3 All Tournament, 2ed-3 All Tournament, 3rd & 4th-2 All Tournament each, 5th & 6th 1 All Tournament each.
Student Sportsmanship Pledge Form & Link (Reminder to be signed by each student athlete during preseason and filed in schools athletic department)