Coaches Group Information
Required Off-Season Conference Call: 10am Tuesday, October 15, 2019
Required Preseason Conference Call: 10am Wednesday, January 15, 2020
All-Conference Nominations Due: 12pm Monday, April 13, 2020
Required All-Conference Nominations Conference Call: 11:30am Monday, April 20, 2020
All-Conference Ballots Due: 12pm Tuesday, April 21, 2020
Committee Chairperson: Alleen Hawkins, Erskine
Director of Athletics Liaison: David Hicks, King
2020 Regular-Season and Championships Information
Final Date of Conference Regular-Season Play: Monday, April 20, 2020
(Per AD Policy: All softball games - including any rescheduled games - must be completed by the Monday prior to the conference championship.)
Conference Championship Dates:
Thursday, April 23, 2020
Friday, April 24, 2020
Saturday, April 25, 2020
Sunday, April 26, 2020
Location of Conference Championship: Springwood Park (Burlington, NC)
Awards Recognition Banquet: 7pm Thursday, April 23, 2020
Conference Championship Rain Date: Monday, April 27, 2020
Note: When there is a pre-determined championship site, the contest times should be pre-determined based on seed, not on the host, regardless of whether the championship is being played at a neutral or campus site.
Note: Schedules can be changed with AD approval from both institutions.
- The regular season will consist of each team playing a doubleheader with each conference member (two games).
- In the case of a tie game, the International Tie Breaker (placing a runner at 2nd base) will be used in the 8th inning for all conference games.
- Every regular season and tournament game will use the eight-run "Mercy" Rule.
- All rainouts will be rescheduled (provided no expenditure has occurred and with approval of both directors of athletics) at the time of the cancellation under the discretion of the coaches. The cancellation and makeup dates must be reported immediately to the conference office.
- Eight conference teams will play in an ASA double-elimination tournament with seeding based on the regular season results.
- Higher seed will determine home team.
- In the case of a tie game during the tournament, the game will be played without any special tie-breaking procedures.
- Weather related cancellation of the tournament decisions will be made by a committee composed of the Tournament Director, a conference representative and the Softball committee chair.
- In the event of a shortened tournament, the highest-seeded team remaining in the tournament becomes the conference champion and receives the automatic NCAA bid with the exception that if the tournament ends with one team having a record of 3 wins and 0 losses, that team is declared champion and receives the automatic bid. When the winning team is not eligible for automatic qualification, the runner-up team receives the automatic qualification (5/22/13). When rain alters the tournament schedule, the games committee should limit no more than three games by one team in a day.
- Scheduling of an 11:00 AM Sunday tournament game is allowed only when a player-optional Sunday morning service is made available.
Seeding: Teams will be seeded according to regular-season finish based on overall conference winning percentage. Ties will be broken in the following manner:
1) Head-to-head results during the regular season for a two-way tie;
2) Records against all opponents involved in the tie;
3) Record against opponents not involved in the tie working down from #1;
4) Runs scored versus runs given up between tied teams;
5) Runs scored versus runs given up between tied teams and the highest seed working down to the lowest seed;
6) Random selection by Commissioner. (In a multi-member tie requiring random selection, the random selection is for the highest seed among the tied teams and then returning to the start of the tie-breaking procedure for the remaining teams.)
*If a team was not played, its comparison is not used for tiebreaking purposes.
*In the situation of three or more teams tying: After determining the highest-seeded team, the tie-breaking procedure reverts back to the start of the tie-breaking procedure to seed the next team. This process continues until all tied teams have been seeded.
Equipment: For the 2020 season, coaches voted to go solely to the Wilson ball for all conference games and the conference tournament. Per NCAA Softball Rule 3.2.2: "The host team shall be responsible for providing a minimum of 12 game softballs of the same specifications and manufacturer.” Per NCAA Softball Rule 5.4: “Game balls must be available a minimum of 60 minutes before the scheduled starting time of the game. Each game shall begin with two new game balls (one rubbed by each team, so the manufacturer’s gloss is removed) and 10 additional new or game-quality balls that also have been sufficiently rubbed up.” Conference Carolinas head coaches have agreed (verbal agreement) that, while 12 game balls are required, at minimum seven pre-rubbed up balls are available. Conference directors of athletics encourage all schools to provide a visitor bullpen which meets at least the minimum requirements.
Equipment Note: Beginning in 2020, bat testing will occur at the conference tournament. Beginning in 2021, bat testing will be required by the NCAA.
Multiple Sport Policy: Link to League Multiple Sport Policy
Media Policy Regarding Officials: Link to Conference Carolinas Media Policy
Delay of Game Policy: Link to Conference Carolinas Delayed Game Policy
Line-Up Submission Policy: Link to Line-Up Submission Policy
Visiting Team Expectations: Link to Visiting Team Expectations
Admissions Policy: In any sport in which there is an admissions charge, member students with a valid ID shall be admitted free (except rented facilities off campus) (8/11/04).
Ejection Policy: When a player or team party member is ejected, both the team's coach and (if a conference opponent) the opposing coach are to notify their director of athletics upon completion of the contest. The director of athletics will immediately notify the conference office and subsequently complete and submit to the conference office the Ejection Report Form. The conference office will notify each member president immediately when notified of an ejection.
A coach ejected for an "unsporting act" will be cautioned by the institution’s director of athletics or immediate supervisor in a form provided by the conference. Copies of cautions and suspensions will be provided to the institution’s President, FAR, Supervisor of Officials, and Commissioner. A second ejection in the same year will, minimally, carry a next-game suspension. A third ejection in the same year will, minimally, carry a next two-game suspension. End-of-year suspensions will be carried forward to the next year. Ejected coaches must leave the sight of the playing field when ejected. If the ejected coach does not comply in a timely manner, the game is forfeited.
- The All-Conference team will mirror the NCAA All-Region Team (14 first team and 14 second team).
- All conference nominations (working through each institution’s sports information director and head coach) are to be submitted via online submission in the required conference awards format.
- A position player may not be nominated at more than one position. (When a dual position nomination occurs, the head coach will be required to resubmit and select one position.)
- When nominating for Utility, the DP position CAN count as one of the “two different positions” (approved by coaches meeting vote 2010).
- No player can win more than one major award (which includes Freshman of the Year, Player of the Year & The Pitcher of the Year Awards). Note that while a player can be nominated for multiple major awards, if voted No.1 for more than one of these, the applicable head coach will pick which one of these to award. At that time coaches will then re-vote on the original nominees (via email) for a new winning representative (10/17/18).
- All-Conference nomination statistics will be used within conference games only (as voted on by coaches and approved by directors of athletics).
- Softball Nomination Guidelines (as voted on by coaches and approved by directors of athletics):
All nominees must play in 60% of all conference games.
All-Conference awards should be voted and based on conference play only (not overall stats).
All nominees for a given position must have played in at least 50% of the conference games at that position (e.g., a player playing at a position for one inning counts as one game at that position - 11/4/14).
For a player to be nominated for "utility," the player would have to play in at least two different positions for 60% of all conference games. (Note the DP position CAN count as one of the “two different positions”).
For 'Pitchers' to be nominated, there is a 20 innings pitched minimum that the player must have played (10/17/18).
- Nomination information will be taken verbatim as sent in by each institution. The conference office will compile the submitted information and circulate before the coaches conference call meeting.
- All sport coaches that nominate and vote All-Conference teams via the online procedure through the conference office (as opposed to meeting in person) are required to attend a conference call following nomination submissions (set up by the conference office). The call will be to ensure correct nomination categories and information (while eliminating discussion of nominees). After the nomination conference call, ballots will be distributed and coaches will vote directly online (eliminating the 2nd coaches conference call). Ballots are required to be completed within 24 hours of the coaches nomination conference call. The conference office will then compile All-Conference teams and award winners while also sending each institution’s voting ballots/rankings to all conference-wide, so that voting will be transparent (10/17/18).
Player and Pitcher of the Year: Each conference member will vote for three players and three pitchers, excluding their own, in rank order. Ballots will be sent to and received from SIDs and the winners will be named Player of the Year & Pitcher of the Year. Ties will be broken by the greatest number of 1) first place votes, 2) second place votes, 3) third place votes. No player can win more than one major award (which includes Freshman of the Year, Player of the Year, and Pitcher of the Year awards). Note that while a player can be nominated for multiple major awards, if voted No.1 for more than one of these, the applicable head coach will pick which one of these to award. At that time, coaches will then re-vote on the original nominees (via email) for a new winning representative (10/17/18).
Coach of the Year: Each conference member will vote for three coaches, excluding their own, in rank order. Ballots will be sent to and received from SIDs and the winner will be named Coach of the Year. Ties will be broken by the greatest number of 1) first place votes, 2) second place votes, 3) third place votes.
Freshman of the Year: The top freshman vote-getter of conference members using the same procedure and time frame as Player of the Year. No player can win more than one major award (which includes Freshman of the Year, Player of the Year, and Pitcher of the Year awards). Note that while a player can be nominated for multiple major awards, if voted No.1 for more than one of these, the applicable head coach will pick which one of these to award. At that time, coaches will then re-vote on the original nominees (via email) for a new winning representative (10/17/18).
- A student-athlete should qualify only if this is the first collegiate institution attended.
- It is the student-athlete’s first year of competition (academic sophomores/redshirt freshmen are eligible as long as they took a redshirt year at the same member institution).
- Any transfer exception is not applicable (e.g., a student-athlete who transfers from an institution but did not play a sport is still not eligible for award).
- Nominators have the responsibility to make sure all qualifications are met.
All-Tournament: Coaches will select the All-Tournament Team as follows:
First place - MVP plus three All-Tournament
Second place - Three All-Tournament
Third and fourth place - Two All-Tournament each
Fifth and sixth place - One All-Tournament each
Student-Athlete Pledge of Sportsmanship Form (Reminder to be signed by each student-athlete during preseason and filed in each institution’s athletics department.)