Coaches Group Information
Required Preseason Conference Call: 10am Wednesday, August 28, 2019
Required All-Conference Nominations Conference Call: 10am Monday, November 18, 2019
Required Off-Season Conference Call: 10am Wednesday, January 8, 2020
Women's Committee Chairperson: Jeff Lennox, Barton
Athletic Director Liaison: Shelia Crockett, King
2019 Regular-Season and Championship Information
Final Date of Conference Regular-Season Play: Saturday, November 16, 2019
(Per AD Policy: All conference games - including any rescheduled games - must be completed by the Saturday prior to that sport's conference championship.)
Conference Championship Dates: Tuesday, November 19, 2019
Saturday, November 23, 2019
Sunday, November 24, 2019
Location of Conference Championship: Quarterfinals at higher seeds; Semifinals and Final at highest overall remaining seed (one locale for Final Four)
The tournament bracket is formatted as follows:
#4 West at #1 East
#3 East at #2 West
(Winners play in semifinal)
#4 East at #1 West
#3 West at #2 East
(Winners play in semifinal)
Quarterfinals: 6:30pm Tuesday, November 19, 2019
Awards Luncheon: 1pm Saturday, November 23, 2019
Semifinals: 5:00pm & 7:30pm Saturday, November 23, 2019
Final: 3:00pm Sunday, November 24, 2019
Note: In the event the highest seed is unable to host the women’s volleyball championship due to the unavailability of their campus playing venue, the championship would be hosted by the next highest remaining seed (5/20/14).
Note: In “Final Four” championships being hosted by the top seed, the top seed has the opportunity to select their game time. Because the school is hosting a championship on the basis of earning the highest seed, that school can select which of the established semifinal game times they prefer. The conference office will reach out to the potential highest seeds early, at least by the beginning of the conference championship, to establish the schedule. The host should help provide meeting space/rooms to accommodate resting, studying, and down-time for visiting tournament teams. The “Final Four” host school should supply reasonable accommodations for officials (e.g., hotel expenses) from the current championships sport budget (10/6/16).
2019 Coaches All-Conference Nominations Due: Noon Wednesday, November 13, 2019
2019 Coaches All-Conference Nominations Conference Call: 10am Monday, November 18, 2019
Method: All league matches will count toward tournament seeding, consisting of double round robin for divisional play and single round robin for play in the opposite division. Conference matches must be completed no later than the Saturday prior to the start of the conference tournament. Line judges determined by an independent assigner are required during conference matches. It is preferred that a single assigner be used for primary officials and line judges (2/13).
2019 Originally Approved Women’s Volleyball Schedule
Note: Schedules can be changed with AD approval from both institutions.
Tournament Format: Eight-team single elimination tournament. Four quarterfinal matches will be played Tuesday followed by two semifinal matches Saturday and the championship match Sunday. In conference championships where the the host institution is the top seed, they are allowed to determine when they will play (first or second) in the semifinal matches (2/3/15). In the event of a shortened tournament, the highest seeded team remaining in the tournament becomes the conference champion and receives the automatic NCAA bid. When the winning team is not eligible for automatic qualification, the runner-up team receives the automatic qualification.
Note: During basketball inter-conference challenge events (usually during the first basketball weekend of the season), there is a potential conflict with the women’s volleyball championship since both can occur on the same weekend. Women’s volleyball championship dates have been revised to more easily accommodate these events, moving from Friday/Saturday to Saturday/Sunday, but women’s volleyball championship match times will take precedent with Saturday’s semifinals scheduled for 5:00pm and 7:30pm and Sunday's final scheduled for 3:00pm. Basketball game times will be scheduled with discretion by the host earlier in the day as not to conflict with the women’s volleyball championship times.
2019 Divisional Alignment
East: Barton, Belmont Abbey, Chowan, Converse, Limestone, Mount Olive
West: Emmanuel, Erskine, Lees-McRae, King, North Greenville, Southern Wesleyan
The top-seeded division winner is the team with the highest conference winning percentage. Ties based on overall conference winning percentage within each division will be broken in the following manner:
1) Head-to-head results during the regular season;
2) Head-to-head sets won;
3) Record against divisional opponents not involved in the tie working down from #1;
4) Record against opposite division opponents working down from #1;
5) Set win/loss percent in conference;
6) Point differential between or among tied teams;
7) Total conference point differential;
8) Random selection by Commissioner (note that in a multi-member tie requiring random selection, the random selection is for the highest seed among the tied teams and then returning to the start of the tie breaking procedure for the remaining teams).
* In all of the above situations, when three or more teams are tied; after determining the highest-seeded team, the tie-breaking procedure reverts back to the start of the tie-breaking procedure to seed the next team. This process continues until all tied teams have been seeded.
*In the event that there are two equal seeds tied for the opportunity to host the semifinal/finals, the host will be determined by the following tiebreaker:
1) Best overall conference record;
2) Head-to-head match-up winner.
For 2019 Seeding Purposes: Four teams from each division will qualify for tournament play. (4 out of 6 East teams & 4 out of 6 West teams).
Multiple Sport Policies: Link to League Multiple Sport Policy
Media Policy Regarding Officials: Link to Media Policy
Delay of Game Policy: Link to Delayed Game Policy
Line-Up Submission Policy: Link to Line-Up Submission Policy
Visiting Team Expectations: Link to Visiting Team Expectations
Admissions Policy: In any sport in which there is an admissions charge, member students with a valid ID shall be admitted free (except rented facilities off campus) (8/11/04).
Ejection Policy: When a player or team party member is ejected, both the team's coach and (if a conference opponent) the opposing coach are to notify their athletic director upon completion of the contest. The athletic director will immediately notify the conference office and subsequently complete and submit to the conference office the Ejection Report Form. The conference office will notify each member president immediately when notified of an ejection.
A coach ejected for an "unsporting act" will be cautioned by the institution’s athletic director or immediate supervisor in a form provided by the conference. Copies of cautions and suspensions will be provided to the institution’s President, FAR, the Supervisor of Officials and the Commissioner. A second ejection in the same year will, minimally, carry a next-match suspension. A third ejection in the same year will, minimally, carry a next two-match suspension. End-of-year suspensions will be carried forward to the next year. Ejected coaches must leave the sight of the playing field/floor when ejected. If the ejected coach does not comply in a timely manner, the match is forfeited.
Volleyball Policy: The Molten USA IV58L-N Super Touch Volleyball is required for conference and tournament play and provided by the host team. The home team shall provide practice balls for the visiting team. All conference matches are best three-out-of-five sets. Selection of a tournament MVP and All-Tournament team (six members) are designated by coaches. The MVP plus two others are from the championship team, two players from the runner-up and one player each from the semifinalist teams. Members agree to admit opponents’ students, with student ID, without charge (8/11/04). Statistics must be kept congruent to NCAA guidelines. All institutions will provide in-game play-by-play statistics (5/21/13). League members will not provide game tapes or verbal scouting reports to non-conference opponents (8/28/08).
Coaches voted for a new warm-up protocol (9/1/15). Linked here is the NCAA warm-up protocol schedule that the conference will use.
Coaches also voted to retain the current 75-second timeout allotment for conference matches (9/2/14).
Film Exchange Policy (8/17):
- Per coaches vote with AD approval, all schools are required to use Hudl/VolleyMetrics for their exchange provider (three-year contract for 2017-19). Each school will be billed per their individual agreements (with or without cameras included) by Hudl/VolleyMetrics.
- ALL matches are required to be uploaded to Hudl/Volleymetrics. Friday night and Saturday conference matches must be uploaded by 11:59pm that night. Midweek matches are to be uploaded by 12pm the following day. Out-of-conference weekend tournament matches must be uploaded by the following Monday by 11:59pm (8/21/18).
- Home teams are responsible for uploading the matches (and scoresheets).
- All uploads must include sound.
- Tapes, CDs, game files, verbal scouting reports, etc. may not be shared with out-of-conference opponents.
- Elevated end-line views or corner views should be used for filming.
- Women’s volleyball does not have a fine/lock-out involved if film is not uploaded, although the Commissioner will discuss/report with a coach/AD individually if it has been reported that they have not uploaded film or communicated with other coaches in the conference.
Hudl/VolleyMetrics Current Rules for MVB Open Exchange (coaches should combine/edit with above to incorporate):
- Video and scoresheets need to be uploaded by 11:59pm the day the match is played.
- Matches versus international teams are to be uploaded.
- Matches versus club or professional teams are NOT to be uploaded.
- Only matches from the competition season are required to be uploaded to the Hudl/VolleyMetrics server.
- As soon as a team plays, they are unable to access any video on opponents until video and scoresheets for all of their matches are uploaded to the Hudl/VolleyMetrics server (this doesn't apply to teams on the road).
All-Conference Team: Each team through their SID may nominate players (2/11/04) for All-Conference consideration including Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year nominees. All nominations received by the Service Bureau Director prior to the stated deadline will be returned to member SIDs. First, second, and third teams of seven (five position, one setter, one libero) will be selected for the All-Conference Teams. All-conference information will only include conference statistics to be included in the All-Conference nomination information.
The Volleyball All-Conference Team will be selected by nomination and ballot via email submission. All sport coaches that nominate and vote All-Conference Teams via an email/online procedure through the conference office (as opposed to meeting in person) will be required to participate in a conference call following nominations/rankings (set up by the conference office). Coaches will rank players for teams based on an approved coaches Excel document vote ranking sent by the coaches group.
Nominations will be categorized as "positon players" (five per team), "liberos" (one per team), and "setters" (one per team) as each All-Conference Team will be seven total representatives. Athletes can ONLY be nominated in ONE of the three categories (e.g., a coach can nominate a setter in the position player category at their discretion but cannot nominate in both categories).
Offensive Player of the Year: Each conference member will vote for three players, excluding their own, in rank order. Ballots will be sent to and received from SIDs and the winner will be named Offensive Player of the Year. Ties will be broken by the greatest number of 1) first place votes, 2) second place votes, 3) third place votes.
Note: The Offensive Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year CANNOT be nominated for or win both awards.
Defensive Player of the Year: Each conference member will vote for three players, excluding their own, in rank order. Ballots will be sent to and received from SIDs and the winner will be named Defensive Player of the Year. Ties will be broken by the greatest number of 1) first place votes, 2) second place votes, 3) third place votes.
Note: The Offensive Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year CANNOT be nominated for or win both awards
Coach of the Year: The top vote-getter of conference members using the same procedure and time frame as Player of the Year.
Freshman of the Year: The top freshman vote-getter of conference members using the same procedure and time frame as Player of the Year.
- A student-athlete should qualify only if this is the first collegiate institution attended.
- It is the student-athlete’s first year of competition (academic sophomores/redshirt freshmen are eligible as long as they took a redshirt year at the same member institution).
- Any transfer exception is not applicable (e.g., a student-athlete who transfers from an institution but did not play a sport is still not eligible for award).
- Nominators have the responsibility to make sure all qualifications are met.
All-Tournament: Coaches will select the All-Tournament Team as follows:
First place - MVP plus two All-Tournament
Second place - Two All-Tournament
Third and fourth place - One All-Tournament each
Student-Athlete Pledge of Sportsmanship Form (Reminder to be signed by each student-athlete during preseason and filed in each institution’s athletics department.)
NCAA Volleyball Statisticians' Manual: The NCAA now puts out a yearly Volleyball Statisticians' Manual, which has an in-depth explanation of all stats. Conference statistics will be kept and published weekly in both individual and team categories. The following statistics need to be kept: Hitting percentage, Assists, Kills, Aces, Blocks and Digs. Other categories are optional. Questions about statistical guidelines should be answered by a member SID or referred to the Conference Chairperson.