DALLAS, TEXAS (NCBWA) – The National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association released its NCAA Division II National Players of the Week awards for the week ending on March 24. Chowan senior outfielder Marquise Lanier is the National Hitter of the Week, and Tuskegee freshman pitcher Savontae Williams is the National Pitcher of the Week.
Lanier (Warsaw, Va./Rend Lake CC) paced the Hawks to a 2-2 record last week, including a 2-1 series win over No. 17 Mount Olive in Conference Carolinas play. Lanier notched his second POTW award after hitting .500 with eight hits, including seven extra-base hits (six homers, two doubles), 14 RBI and 11 runs scored. Lanier's best game came in a 13-6 game one win over Mount Olive, going three-for-four with two homers, four RBI and four runs scored.
Division II Regional Players of the Week:
- Atlantic: Nick Fairman, California (Pa.) (Hitter); Nate Fiala, East Stroudsburg (Pitcher)
- Central: Connor Hurst, Emporia State (Hitter); Blake Beckmann, Lindenwood (Pitcher)
- East: Tyree Bradley, Bloomfield (Hitter); DJ Masuck, NYIT (Pitcher)
- Midwest: Genesis Hillard, Ohio Dominican (Hitter); Reid Werner, Indianapolis (Pitcher)
- South: Danny Tufariello, Palm Beach Atlantic (Hitter); Savontae Williams, Tuskegee (Pitcher)
- South Central: Seth Spinn, Texas A&M-Kingsville (Hitter); Chandler Casey, Lubbock Christian (Pitcher)
- Southeast: Marquise Lanier, Chowan (Hitter); Drew Wilson, Young Harris (Pitcher)
- West: Griffen Herrera, Azusa Pacific (Hitter); Jarrod Molnaa, Montana State Billings (Pitcher)
Founded in 1962, the NCBWA is dedicated to the advancement of college baseball. Membership is open to writers, broadcasters and publicists of the sport. Members receive a membership card, directory, newsletter updates and official votes in the Howser Award Player of the Year, Regional Player of the Year and NCBWA All-America voting. The NCBWA also sponsors preseason All-America awards, publication and writing contests.
2019 NCBWA Division II Players of the Week:
- Feb. 20: John Michael Faile, North Greenville (Hitter); Will Bausinger, Missouri Southern State (Pitcher)
- Feb. 27: Matt Chamberlain, New Haven (Hitter); Cooper Cain, Valdosta State (Pitcher)
- Mar. 6: Zavier Lushington, Young Harris (Hitter); Jack Eisenbarger, Rockhurst (Pitcher)
- Mar. 13: Jacob Teter, Florida Southern (Hitter); Grant Larson, Chico State (Pitcher)
- Mar. 20: Matt Malkin, MSU Denver (Hitter); Charles Hall, Tusculum (Pitcher)
- Mar. 27: Marquise Lanier, Chowan (Hitter); Savontae Williams, Tuskegee (Pitcher)
Conference Carolinas is a NCAA Division II athletics conference made up of 11 teams from Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee. These institutions consist of: Barton College, Belmont Abbey College, Converse College, Emmanuel College, Erskine College, King University, Lees-McRae College, Limestone College, University of Mount Olive, North Greenville University, and Southern Wesleyan University.